Monday, August 29, 2016

Creating a Galaxy or Nebula with Radiant Neon


Creating galaxy or nebula backgrounds is really popular these days. Many people are using watercolor paints to create them. I decided to use the incredibly bright Radiant Neon Inks by Imagine Crafts to create mine, along with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. This combination gives a surprisingly realistic look (well, similar to the enhanced space photos seen in magazines and online). I applied Sheer Shimmer Spritz to the background as well - it's so beautiful in person! Unfortunately the photos don't pick up much more than a few shiny dots here & there but you can see it better in the video (although the colors are duller in the video, sigh).

Making the Card

1. Cut purple/blue cardstock to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches; fold in half for a card base.

2. Cut watercolor paper to about 5 x 6 inches. Note: the final size will be 4 x 5 1/4 inches, leaving extra space for taping down and triming.

3. Watch the video below to create the nebula look on the watercolor paper. To create a galaxy, just apply the color in a band across the card. Hint: do a Google search for "nebula" or "galaxy" - click the "Images" tab and use one of the photos as a model as you work. You will see me do this on my iPhone, which I set up in front of my work area (out of view of the video camera).

NOTE: YouTube took down my video and put a strike on my account due to a FALSE copyright claim by Sony Music Entertainment (SME). The actual music copyright owner is Pacific Digital Video, from whom I have permission to use their music. Someone called "Ogie" sang over Pacific's music track illegally and SME is distributing it. SME filed a false copyright violation against me and YouTube will not even look at this unless I allow SME to sue me! Their process rewards false copyright claims - the victims have no viable recourse. I now have a strike on my YouTube account because I filed a counter notification and wouldn't yield to them. No one at YouTube will look at the issue.


4. After cutting down the watercolor piece to 4 x 5 1/4 inches, emboss the sentiment in white embossing powder where shown (I use an anti-static tool before embossing). Mount it on the front of the card base using a strong tape, e.g. Tear It tape. Adhere alien using dimensional tape.


Supplies
  • Radiant Neon Ink Pads or Inkers:  Electric Yellow, Electric Orange, Electric Coral, Electric Pink, Electric Purple, Electric Blue, Electric Green
  • StazOn Ink: Jet Black
  • irRESISTible Texture Spray: Wedding Dress
  • Memento Ink Pad: Tuxedo Black
  • Memento Marker: Tuxedo Black
  • Sheer Shimmer Spritz: Sparkle
  • VersaMark Ink Pad (For Embossing)
  • Embossing Powder: White
  • Watercolor Paper: Arches Hot Press (Recommended)
  • Ink Blushers
  • Tear It! Tape
  • Painter's Tape (Masking Tape)
  • Stamps: Paper Smooches Space Cadet
  • Plastic Packaging
  • Paintbrush(s)
  • Optional: Spray Bottle with Water
  • Cardstock: Purple/Blue
  • Dimensional Tape
Follow my blog with Bloglovin so you won't miss any of the space themed fun!
Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.

3 comments:

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read (and appreciate) every one!